7 Days Kilimanjaro Climb - Machame Route
About This Trip
Machame also named as Whiskey route is one of the most popular ones on Kilimanjaro, but in the same time considered a difficult route. The total Machame route distance is approximately 62 kilometers. We would recommend it to experienced climbers that have already been acclimatized before and physically fit.
7 Days Kilimanjaro Climb – Machame Route at Glance
Day 1: Machame Gate to Machame Camp
Day 2: Machame Camp to Shira Camp
Day 3: Shira Camp to the Lava Tower and Descent to Barranco Camp
Day 4: Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
Day 5: Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp
Day 6: Ascent to Uhuru Peak and Descent to Millennium Camp
Day 7: Descent from Millennium Camp to Mweka Gate
MACHAME ROUTE 7 DAYS ITINERARY
DAY 1: MACHAME GATE TO MACHAME HUT (FULL BOARD)
The climb starts from machame gate (1830m), we walk through the lush lower slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Slowly gaining altitude while enjoying the diverse flora and fauna of the rain forest, you will arrive to the first Machame Hut, situated at 3000m above sea level
If is a clear day we may get our first closer look at the glaciated dome of Kibo if the evening clouds permit.
Machame Gate to Machame Hut (3,000 m): 6-7 hours walking.
DAY 2: MACHAME CAMP TO SHIRA CAMP (FULL BOARD)
A shorter day climbing up a steep ridge to reach a small semicircular cliff known as Picnic site, and continue up a gentler ascent through the lower alpine moorland, which is known for beautiful wild alpine flowers. The most spectacular views of Kibo peak can be seen from Shira Camp.
Machame Hut to Shira Camp (3,840m): 4-6 hours walking.
DAY 3: SHIRA CAMP TO BARRANCO VALLEY (FULL BOARD)
Today we walk on a gentle ascent and panoramic views. We traverse the southwest side of Kilimanjaro, passing underneath the Lava Tower and the final section of the Western Breach and after hot lunch the bottom of the Lava Tower (4,600 m.) we descend to the bottom of the Great Barranco valley (3,900 m.).
Shira Camp to Barranco Camp (3,900 m.): 5-7 hours walking.
DAY 4: BARRANCO CAMP TO KARANGA CAMP (FULL BOARD)
A steep climb up the eastern wall leads us just below the Heim Glacier, where we may have some spectacular views of Kilimanjaro. We then take a steep exit up the Great Barranco Wall, which divides us from the southeastern slopes of Kibo, the trail continues down into the alpine desert of the Karanga Valley, finally we have a steep climb up to Karanga Camp.
Barranco Camp to Karanga camp (4,000 m): 4-5 hours walking.
DAY 5: KARANGA CAMP TO BARAFU CAMP (FULL BOARD)
A steep climb out of Karanga, and an easy path on compacted scree with wide views through this empty and dry landscape up to Barafu Camp. The two peaks Kibo and Mawenzi can been seen from Barafu Camp. After a hot lunch at the Camp, The remainder of the day is spent resting as we prepare for the final ascent before an early night summit walk.
Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp (4,600 m.); 3-4 hours walking.
DAY 6: BARAFU CAMP TO SUMMIT TO MWEKA CAMP (FULL BOARD)
Wake up before midnight in the cover of darkness. We begin a steep climb over loose volcanic scree has some well-graded zig-zags and a slow but steady pace will take us to rim of the main crater, Stella Point, at 5,735m. We will rest there for few minutes to enjoy the sunrise over Mawenzi. Those who are still feeling good can continue slowly to make the two hour round trip from here along the crater rim to main peak (5,895 m), which is the highest point in Africa. After a few minutes to appreciate your accomplishment we descend to Barafu is amazingly fast, and we stop at Barafu Camp for some refreshment, we continue to descend to reach Mweka Camp.
Barafu Camp to Mweka Camp (3100 m): 13-15 hours walking.
DAY 7: MWEKA CAMP TO MWEKA GATE TO ARUSHA (HALF BOARD)
A gentle walk takes us down through the rainforest to Mweka gate successful climbers will receive their summit certificates. After lunch we drive back to Arusha Safari Lodge.
Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate: 3-5 hours walking.
KILIMANJARO CLIMB INCLUDES:
• Tanzania VAT on tourism activities and park fees
• Return transfers Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha and Arusha to Kilimanjaro airport
• Hotel Lodging the night before and the night after the climb, with dinner and breakfast included (double occupancy)
• with bed dinner and breakfast
• Transfer from your hotel to starting point for your climb, and return to your hotel after your climb
• Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
• All Kilimanjaro National Park gate fees, camping fees and climbing permits.
• Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees (Kilimanjaro Rescue Team)
• Emergency oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summiting aid)
• Basic first aid kit (for use in emergencies only)
• Qualified mountain guide, assistant guides, porters and cook
• Salaries for mountain crew as per guidelines set by Kilimanjaro National Park
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as hot drinks on the mountain
• Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs, tables & sleeping mattress
• Water for washing up daily
• Porter to carry your duffel bag (max weight 15kg / 32 lbs) from one camp to the next camp.
• Kilimanjaro National Park certificate for your successful summit attempt
• A comprehensive Climbing Kilimanjaro travel info pack
• Flying Doctor Service
KILIMANJARO CLIMB EXCLUDES:
• Flights and airport taxes
• Items of a personal nature
• Compulsory tips for guides, porters and cook (average tip is anything from US $ 230 to US $ 300 per hiker – depending on number of days / how many hikers in the group and route chosen)
• South African passport holders do NOT require a visa for Tanzania, however most other Nationalities require a visa for Tanzania
• Health requirements (Yellow Fever compulsory if travelling to Tanzania recommended)
• Highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
• Personal hiking/trekking gear – we can rent some of the gear from our equipment store in Tanzania
• Optional but highly recommended Portable toilet
• Snacks, personal medicine and water purifying tablets
• Meals & drinks not specified and snacks.
African Overland Brings you to the world’s best safari destination. When you book with us you get
- Amazing lifetime experience
- Unlimited Safari Mileage
- Experienced Safari Guide
- Quality Service